re: NHTSA Campaign 20V017000
Laguna Hills, Calif. – January 23, 2020 – BMW of North American, LLC is recalling certain 2006-2015 vehicles equipped with faulty airbag inflators that could explode sending sharp metal objects towards the driver and other occupants.
The previous Takata inflator remedy parts are also under this recall.
The estimated total of affected vehicles is 59,965.
Affected Vehicles Include:
- 2008-2013 128i and 135i Convertibles
- 128i, 135i, and M Coupes
- 2007-2010 X3 30si and X3 xDrive30i
- 2013-2015 X1 sDrive28i, X1 xDrive28i and X1 xDrive35i
- 2007-2013 328i, 328i xDrive, 335i, 335is, 335i xDrive and M3 Coupes
- 2006-2011 328i, 328xi, 328i xDrive, 325i, 325xi, 330i, 330xi, 335i, 335xi, 335ixDrive and M3
- 2009-2011 335D, 2006-2012 325xi, 328i, 328xi and 328i xDrive
- 2010-2011 X6 ActiveHybrid, 2007-2013 328i, 335i, 335is, M3 Coupes, X5 30si, X5 xDrive30i, X5 xDrive35i, X5 48i, X5 xDrive48i, X5 xDrive50i and X5 M
- 2009-2013 X5 xDrive35d
- 2008-2014 X6 xDrive35i, X6 xDrive50i and X6
BMW is recalling almost 60,000 vehicles equipped with faulty airbag inflators. The affected driver frontal inflators are non-desiccated and contained phase stabilized ammonium nitrate (PSAN) that were used as repair parts for all authorized Takata recalls.
Exposed to long periods of humidity and high temperatures, the ammonium nitrate (PSAN) could cause the driver frontal inflator to explode sending sharp metal fragments that could result in severe injury to the vehicle occupants or death.
BMW will notify affected vehicle owners by March 6, 2020 when the official recall will begin. All official BMW dealerships will perform the necessary repair free of charge. The repair consists of replacing the previous faulty Takata airbags with an inflator that does not contain ammonium nitrate.
X5 and X6 vehicles will only need the inflator and not the whole apparatus replaced.
Check your car’s recall status using MotorSafety’s free vehicle lookup tool.
MotorSafety.org is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to vehicle safety and assisting consumers with the identification and resolution of vehicle manufacturing recalls and defects. Through education, awareness, government relations, repair facility referrals and strategic partnerships, MotorSafety.org hopes to remove every unsafe vehicle from the road, facilitate its proper repair, and ensure its prompt return to the owner once the vehicle has met the required safety and performance standards. For more information about MotorSafety.org, please email email@example.com.