Jacksonville, FL – April 30, 2022 – Daimler (OTCMKTS:DMLRY), which owns the Mercedes-Benz brand, is recalling 126,443 vehicles over malfunctioning rearview camera. This increases the risk of striking people or property when backing up.
The recall affects Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class and Mercedes-Benz A-Class vehicles, among others. A partial list of vehicles includes:
- 2018 Mercedes-Benz E400
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA250
- 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC300
- 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC350E
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz AMG GLA35
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz AMG GLA45
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz AMG GLB35
- 2020 Mercedes-Benz AMG GLC43
- 2020 Mercedes-Benz AMG GLC63
- 2020 Mercedes-Benz AMG GLC63 S
- 2019 – 2021 Mercedes-Benz AMG C43
- 2019 – 2021 Mercedes-Benz AMG C63
- 2019 – 2020 Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 S
- 2020 – 2021 Mercedes-Benz AMG CLA35
- 2020 – 2021 Mercedes-Benz AMG CLA45
- 2019 – 2020 Mercedes-Benz AMG CLS53
- 2019 – 2020 Mercedes-Benz AMG E53
- 2020 – 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLB250
The rearview camera enables drivers to see in real time what’s behind the vehicle when going in reverse. This is useful when backing up, such as when moving out of a parking spot or a driveway.
Due to a software error, the recalled vehicles’ camera may fail to produce an image.
The full list of vehicles is available here.
For more on risks of this recall, please see our recent article about a similar Ford recall.
Other Mercedes-Benz recalls
Earlier this month, some of the models involved in this recall were recalled due to faulty cruise control that allowed drivers to keep their hands off the wheel while using autopilot due to a software error.
In May 2021, a recall was issued for 342,366 Mercedes-Benz GLE Class, GLS Class and the AMG CLA Class vehicles also due to a rearview camera issue.
Dealers will install a software update on the affected models, at no charge to the owner, to make sure that the component meets current specifications.
Daimler will reimburse owners for the costs of any previous repair work involving the defective component.
Affected owners will be notified on or around June 7, 2022.
Is your vehicle part of this recall?
More than 126,000 vehicles are included in this Mercedes-Benz rearview camera recall. To see if your car is affected by the Mercedes-Benz E-Class recall, the Mercedes-Benz A-Class recall, or any other recall, use MotorSafety’s free vehicle lookup tool.